Skip to main content

Getting out of Blogging Retirement - Take 2

I've already had some food in my system, and while it's probably on its way to full digestion now, let's try putting in a half decent blog post.

Like I said, after a long, I believe 2-year hiatus from blogging, I had really thought I would let blogging die a natural death and stop just like that. But as things occur in my life, I find myself itching to write again.

Like today. 

First, during lunch time. 

One of my colleagues, let's call her Kay, told us that Hard Rock Cafe has a pretty good lunch set menu. It comes with a salad, main course and dessert, and a refillable drink for the price of a normal main course. So of course we jumped to it. The moment we got to HRC, it was almost a full house! We were lucky not to have to wait in a queue. Those people probably thought to take advantage of the lunch set too. 

Anyway, there were four main courses offered in the lunch set menu; Chicken Marinara, Chicken Pasta, Hamburger and Grilled Fish. I opted for the Chicken Marinara thinking (without actually looking at the full description of the meal) that it was a pasta. On hindsight, I did think it odd that they would serve pasta with fries. 

Kay chose Hamburger and the other colleague, let's call her Bee, ordered the Grilled Fish. None of us read the description in full, except maybe Bee. So there we were, chit chatting and de-stressing while waiting for our meal. We ate up the tuna salad pretty quickly after it arrived, then we waited for a good 20 minutes, maybe more, for our main course. The tiny bowl of salad was pretty good but it did not really satiate our hunger. WE WANTED FOOD! 

When we saw the server coming to our table with three plates, oh the excitement! The first plate laid down on the table was Hamburger. . . . Let's take a moment of shock here, because a) it was just a beef patty on ONE piece of bread (literally guys... it was a piece of buttered white bread), b) there was no veges or salads on or under the burger except for maybe chopped tomatoes as garnish, and c) not even a slice of cheese! The look on Kay's face was just too comical as she tried to cover her surprise.

Then my meal was put in front of me and I thought to myself, "Where's the pasta??" At least they did not skimp out on the fries. Haha.

Then lastly, Bee got her fish and I'd say hers was the closest to meeting our expectations. I was surprised they gave her mashed potatoes though. 

We ate up our meal, albeit with a little disappointment... most was for Kay especially since her husband could not stop laughing after knowing about the daylight robbery that was her meal. Hahaha! My chicken was alright but it was a little dry. And Bee was enjoying her meal quite thoroughly because she was so hungry. Actually anything at that point would have been really yummy to her.

After the meal, we had our dessert which was a scoop of ice cream. Get this people... I'm pretty sure it was a scoop of Wall's Raspberry ice cream with a drizzle of strawberry syrup. A good thing that that ice cream is actually really nice but c'mon... Hard Rock Cafe? It is not exactly premium food innit? 

In the end it felt like we definitely overpaid for the meal. Before even leaving the restaurant Kay was already thinking that she'd need another meal around 3ish just to feel fuller. I guess we learned our lesson there. Never fall for a cheap lunch set in a fancy restaurant and READ THE DESCRIPTION carefully.

Whatever it was though, we had a tonne of fun laughing and catching up. While our workstations are close to each other but when we are immersed in our jobs, we could hardly even say hello! 

Second incident happened in the office just after 5pm. 

One of my managers, bought some Hokkaido tarts to be shared. Our intern asked me to pick one and since it's after 5pm, I was starting to feel rather peckish. So of course, I did not turn it down. It's cheese tart! 

Or so I thought...

I took a HUGE bite out of the tart and immediately regretted it because... IT WAS DURIAN FLAVOURED!! Okay, my fellow Malaysians will probably chastise me for this, but I. Do. Not. Like. Durians. Ever since I was little, durians would be the one thing I would not willingly eat, and I love food. The mere smell of it could make me dizzy and I am so sensitive to the smell, I literally could detect the aroma from a mile away! These days, I could have maybe a little piece of it as what my dad call it, 'my annual quota'. But it would be a conscious decision. 

Today though... that huge bite caught me entirely off guard and I must have looked like a cartoon as I try to tell the intern that it was durian, chew and swallow the bite, AND try to offer the rest of it to my other colleagues. Suddenly I was surrounded by a handful of people that also do not eat durians. My goodness... what was the odds of that.

Right about then the manager who bought it came over and said, "Oh 2 of them are durian flavoured. Zima, don't take that one ok." 

"Too late!" I told her, "I took a big bite out of it already!" And we just stared at each other wide-eyed for a moment. 

Gosh... For a little while I was just there trying to kill off the taste with some crackers that Kay got on her table and wondering who would eat the rest of my durian flavoured tart. Thankfully, Twinsy did not mind finishing it off for me. Phew! 

Never again... Never, ever again will I be curious to get a durian flavoured tart. 


Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

Life After... Pt4

"I want to see the trees."
Those were his last words to me on 26th May 2017. The day when we discovered Mum's cancer, the day Dad did his darnedest during physio at his bed just to get on the wheelchair, the day we took him for a little walk around the ward, the day before the 1st of Ramadhan... The day he had a stroke.
We would never hear his voice again after that day until Allah called him home on 16th June 2017, 21st Ramadhan 1438H. 
There were a few things that he wanted, which I failed to fulfill. For breakfast the day he was first brought to the hospital in Ipoh, he had told me he wanted fresh milk from Salim's Restaurant - I'm sure with 3 teaspoons of sugar for that perfect taste. While he was in the ward, he wanted some Miso soup from Rakuzen Japanese Restaurant, but logistically it was hard to get to the nearest Rakuzen and I only got him some Miso soup from Sushi Zanmai. He wanted some jelly when he was sitting on the wheelchair - I told him we would b…

Life After... Pt 2

Dad was admitted in the ICU on the morning of 30th April. He had a severe case of pneumonia (and no one knew how things escalated so quickly to acute pneumonia save for Allah). When we first arrived at the Accident & Emergency, the attending physician who is a Cardiologist specially assigned by a friend’s father as the Director of the hospital, explained that all they needed to do was to give Dad antibiotics and nebulizer. Dad was supposed to be in the ICU for three days for monitoring and treatment, and it was expected that he would be right as rain. Although the Doctor did say that there was a possibility that Dad may be intubated just to help him recover better. I didn’t know it then but it turned out that “intubated” meant Dad would be sedated. So when he was wheeled to his bay at the ICU and suddenly the Doctor said there was a complication, I felt an awful feeling at the pit of my stomach. Dad’s case was much more complex than a normal pneumonia case would be because he was …