Skip to main content

What's New Pussycat?

Syara circa 1998/99

SO it is now 2015. February to be exact. It is also my beloved eldest niece and self-proclaimed god-daughter, Syara's SEVENTEENTH birthday! Gosh... 17 years since I first became an auntie. 17 years since my life became so much more fulfilled with little children's laughter and characters.

Since Syara arrived in this world, I have become an aunt 6 other times over since that fateful 12 February 1998, and I love every little bit of it. The youngest one that I have to date is little Ilhan Seth, Buffy's son, who is now coming to 8 months' old. And there are people who said he looks exactly like me as a little bub. (I'm secretly very, very pleased with that actually... Hehe!).

Whenever one of my siblings have kids, I am usually one of the most excited and proud of all. I would even risk losing my job just to be there for them. I would make up any excuse just to visit them and hold my new baby niece or nephew. Heck, I would even volunteer to do diaper duty! (or should I say diaper doodie?).

To be quite honest, next to my parents, they're my world. My nieces and nephews are as close as I would get to having kids of my own now. I pray that one day I would have my own brood but until that day comes, I would help raise my siblings' kids just as I would my own.

But Syara is and always will be my first "child" so to speak. I would've been a teen mom if she really was mine though... But I am particularly proud of her as a pace-setter for all her younger siblings and cousins. She is not just my niece and god-daughter but I like to think of her as my kindred spirit with her own unique individuality and personality. A lot like me really. =)

Happy 17th Birthday, dearest Syara.
Love always, Acu


Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

Life After... Pt4

"I want to see the trees."
Those were his last words to me on 26th May 2017. The day when we discovered Mum's cancer, the day Dad did his darnedest during physio at his bed just to get on the wheelchair, the day we took him for a little walk around the ward, the day before the 1st of Ramadhan... The day he had a stroke.
We would never hear his voice again after that day until Allah called him home on 16th June 2017, 21st Ramadhan 1438H. 
There were a few things that he wanted, which I failed to fulfill. For breakfast the day he was first brought to the hospital in Ipoh, he had told me he wanted fresh milk from Salim's Restaurant - I'm sure with 3 teaspoons of sugar for that perfect taste. While he was in the ward, he wanted some Miso soup from Rakuzen Japanese Restaurant, but logistically it was hard to get to the nearest Rakuzen and I only got him some Miso soup from Sushi Zanmai. He wanted some jelly when he was sitting on the wheelchair - I told him we would b…

Life After... Pt 2

Dad was admitted in the ICU on the morning of 30th April. He had a severe case of pneumonia (and no one knew how things escalated so quickly to acute pneumonia save for Allah). When we first arrived at the Accident & Emergency, the attending physician who is a Cardiologist specially assigned by a friend’s father as the Director of the hospital, explained that all they needed to do was to give Dad antibiotics and nebulizer. Dad was supposed to be in the ICU for three days for monitoring and treatment, and it was expected that he would be right as rain. Although the Doctor did say that there was a possibility that Dad may be intubated just to help him recover better. I didn’t know it then but it turned out that “intubated” meant Dad would be sedated. So when he was wheeled to his bay at the ICU and suddenly the Doctor said there was a complication, I felt an awful feeling at the pit of my stomach. Dad’s case was much more complex than a normal pneumonia case would be because he was …