Skip to main content

AdVenturing

2015 would make the 10th year (Holy Mackerel!!) that I have worked since I finished my studies. And in all that 10 years I have undergone many, and I mean MANY ups and downs in my career.

Some might say I haven't had much luck since I started, what with uncertainty on what I want to do and be, to undergoing business foreclosure, to unexpected retrenchment, to changing jobs in between, to mental and emotional abuse by a superior; I reckon it's quite a colourful history that I've got going for myself. And while some people would try their damnedest to hide it, what I prefer to do is learn and grow from the experience, and if need be (without sounding self-righteous about it) share it to help others deal with similar scenarios.

You would think that after 10 years though that I would have seen just about everything the vicious Corporate working world could be. But trust me when I say that there's still so much in store, I haven't even begun to scratch the surface. I suppose I am fortunate in the sense that I was exposed to the ugly truth so early in my career, forcing me to remove some naivete or ideologies that I have of the perfect world, making me stronger to soldier on.

In fact, out of all these experiences, I discovered a lot more of myself and Alhamdulillah managed to bring myself closer to the Divine and Almighty Allah s.w.t, Insya Allah. As a result of that, I tend to look at things on a bigger picture view and have stronger belief that Rezeki is Allah's right to grant to us, and we have to earn it with effort and prayers.

But my past working experiences, whether good or bad, is not the end all and be all of this post. No, no, not by a long shot!

See, the thing is, while I love being a HR practitioner (yes, I'm in Human Resources), I also developed a passion for makeup artistry along the way. I tell ya, I have many interests; i.e. music, singing, dancing, writing... but never had it so passionate enough to capitalise on it. I love music but can't read a single note. I love singing but I get so nervous that I croak! I love dancing but could only pretty much dance well in my head. And I love writing but... words elude me. But makeup is a passion that others could benefit from too.

I was never one to wear a lot of makeup, simply because I had no clue how to put it on. But I always did have a major fascination when I used to watch my Mum put her makeup on in the mornings before going to work. Such elegance, such grace. Then the appreciation for makeup just grew when I started watching YouTube videos in 2007. I had worked for 2 years then and I tended to neglect my makeup for work because I had no time in the mornings. I always thought it is just so tedious and time consuming so I looked for videos where the makeup application was fast and easy.

What started out as looking for fast ways to put on makeup, blossomed to understanding makeup application techniques, to product understanding. Before long, I was using Buffy as my test subject aside from using my own face as a canvas.

Fast forward to a few years later, while I did have a couple or so years of hiatus from holding a brush against someone else's face, it officially restarted in 2014 when I did my cousin's wife's wedding makeup, followed by a friend's wedding makeup, and then a few makeup for dinners and wedding guests, and then it just grew from there. Then 2015 came and I just had to take the plunge. And so "ZiMagicTouch" was born! The name was coined initially as a joke by an ex-colleague of mine who I was mucking around with makeup with. And it just kinda stuck. I now have Instagram and Twitter with the same handle and get this, even hashtag with it. Next would be to create a Facebook page and fingers crossed this will be my next endeavour or perhaps back up plan!

So there you have it. Aside from my job, which I enjoy mostly, I now have a little side business with potential income and I love doing it, which is an added bonus! =)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

The Time I was Flying Blue with KLM

About two months ago I came back from a magnificent travel experience to the UK and Paris. I fully intend to write all about it as it was my very first solo trip ever! But this post is not about that per se. I plan to break down the solo trip experience so that it will not be too heavy in one posting. 
Anyway, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience travelling for the first time with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines as they were my chosen carrier to take me on this wonderful journey. 
From the get go, I would say it was not exactly all smooth flowing. My own unfamiliarity and inexperience with them probably contributed to the little bumps along the way but thankfully their customer service team is well trained and equipped to help iron out any hurdles or uncertainties that I faced. 
The booking was unique in its own right. The selection of flight dates, times and class was all standard. Then when it came to payment was when I discovered the first uniqueness, or rather the second …

Getting out of Blogging Retirement - Take 2

I've already had some food in my system, and while it's probably on its way to full digestion now, let's try putting in a half decent blog post.

Like I said, after a long, I believe 2-year hiatus from blogging, I had really thought I would let blogging die a natural death and stop just like that. But as things occur in my life, I find myself itching to write again.
Like today. 
First, during lunch time. 
One of my colleagues, let's call her Kay, told us that Hard Rock Cafe has a pretty good lunch set menu. It comes with a salad, main course and dessert, and a refillable drink for the price of a normal main course. So of course we jumped to it. The moment we got to HRC, it was almost a full house! We were lucky not to have to wait in a queue. Those people probably thought to take advantage of the lunch set too. 
Anyway, there were four main courses offered in the lunch set menu; Chicken Marinara, Chicken Pasta, Hamburger and Grilled Fish. I opted for the Chicken Marina…