Skip to main content

My Headache Diary

I need to distract myself from the pain afflicted by migraine. And so far, I have not been successful in doing that. It seems that every single movement of my head, every flicker of the light or reflection, every single annoying noise makes me want to hurl!
 
I suppose reading and looking at the computer or iPhone or iPad during this time is not the best thing to do of course. But it does beat... driving (which I shouldn't have done in the first place). So back to the reading... I came across this article on the internet while googling "Migraine Pain Management" and it states that migraine causes are unknown. It simply occurs when the brain and its surrounding blood vessels are irritated due to certain triggers, which makes it leak out certain chemicals that induces pain to the nerves. Migraines most commonly occur among women particularly around the time of their periods especially in puberty and would usually lessen by the time they reach menopause. Genetics are most commonly cited by migraine sufferers but there are also environmental effects causing migraines to occur, such as light, smell, food, lifestyle, stress, effects of other drugs, etc. What's even more worrying is that women who suffer from migraines have a higher risk of stroke (GASP!), although the connection is still unclear.
 
I still remember how I discovered my long-term relationship with migraine. I was probably 11 or 12 years old when it made its debut in my life one afternoon. It was a confusing feeling then because I didn't know whether I was having a headache or if my head was about to explode. I remember crying to my parents in their room saying my head hurts so much that I feel like I just want to crush my head to relieve the pain. Nothing worked. Not sleeping, not staying awake, not eating or drinking, nothing. And we never came across the word "migraine" before either.
 
I hadn't started my period then but I suppose it was puberty which was just the beginning of everything.
 
My parents were quite worried that I had resorted to bawling my eyes out from the pain. They told me to lie in their bed (which always feels more comfortable), close my eyes and try to sleep. My mum stroked my head with some peppermint ointment in an attempt to ease the pain and the lights were turned off. Before long I drifted off in a fitful slumber. When I came to, the pain had subsided and I felt better. I hadn't realised it then but being in a darken room is one of the natural "relievers" when a migraine occurs.
 
This episode came and went periodically throughout my life henceforth. It wasn't till later in my teens that I learnt that it was a migraine. As I began my period, I noticed a particular trend of it's occurance. Some days it's manageable without any meds. Some days are crippling to a fault. I've had several memorable severe migraines. The first is always most memorable. There was once a few years ago, I thought I was going to pass out alone in the house after crawling to the toilet to puke my guts out for the upteenth time. Another was when I started puking non-stop during fasting month at work and had to get my friends to help get me home. I couldn't drive or even open my eyes because the light was just blinding. Several other times I ended up puking after holding it in for as long as I could. The pain literally pounds on my head.
 
Today's episode is also no walk in the park. I'm trying to hold it together but I feel like it will not be a gallant victory. I'd only end up sitting in the dark in my room... after work ends (?). To top it off, I'm also having period pains which is a double whammy. Astaghfirullah... I think that is all I can say in this time of pain.
 
The article I mentioned also stated that migraine sufferers should keep a headache diary. That's a brilliant idea. Think this entry will be the first for the headache diary. Let's see how often it occurs this year alone starting from May 27th onwards. As far as I can recall, I think the migraines have lessened in frequency although the magnitude of pain when it does occur are quite high.
 
From time to time I will also put in how I manage migraine pain before succumbing to pain relieving meds. Lord knows I need to get my system as chemical free as possible from all those years of swallowing Panadols.
 
Astaghfirullah...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

The Time I was Flying Blue with KLM

About two months ago I came back from a magnificent travel experience to the UK and Paris. I fully intend to write all about it as it was my very first solo trip ever! But this post is not about that per se. I plan to break down the solo trip experience so that it will not be too heavy in one posting. 
Anyway, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience travelling for the first time with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines as they were my chosen carrier to take me on this wonderful journey. 
From the get go, I would say it was not exactly all smooth flowing. My own unfamiliarity and inexperience with them probably contributed to the little bumps along the way but thankfully their customer service team is well trained and equipped to help iron out any hurdles or uncertainties that I faced. 
The booking was unique in its own right. The selection of flight dates, times and class was all standard. Then when it came to payment was when I discovered the first uniqueness, or rather the second …

Getting out of Blogging Retirement - Take 2

I've already had some food in my system, and while it's probably on its way to full digestion now, let's try putting in a half decent blog post.

Like I said, after a long, I believe 2-year hiatus from blogging, I had really thought I would let blogging die a natural death and stop just like that. But as things occur in my life, I find myself itching to write again.
Like today. 
First, during lunch time. 
One of my colleagues, let's call her Kay, told us that Hard Rock Cafe has a pretty good lunch set menu. It comes with a salad, main course and dessert, and a refillable drink for the price of a normal main course. So of course we jumped to it. The moment we got to HRC, it was almost a full house! We were lucky not to have to wait in a queue. Those people probably thought to take advantage of the lunch set too. 
Anyway, there were four main courses offered in the lunch set menu; Chicken Marinara, Chicken Pasta, Hamburger and Grilled Fish. I opted for the Chicken Marina…