Skip to main content

Five Days of Newness

Assalamualaikum and heyyyy'all!

Alhamdulillah, praise to Allah s.w.t, I have survived thus far in my "headscarf" journey. The first day itself was surprisingly good and comfortable despite me going to one of the most crowded areas in KL city, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman or Jalan TAR for short. No doubt I somewhat cheated a little because I mainly kept myself indoors in Semua House and City One Plaza where there's some air conditioning but the fact of the matter is I was there. Hazaa!

Most KLites (?) would know that Jalan TAR has tonnes of headscarves, wedding paraphernalia, cloths, clothes, etc, etc. and it is ALWAYS buzzing with people. You'd go there and probably would never truly get a chance to explore every nook and cranny of this place. And every single twist and turn would leave you all amazed that you've seen something different. It's truly fascinating.

Anyways, I went there for a reason which was to help out a friend look for her wedding saree. Even though her wedding is going to be next May (!) but I suppose now is as good as anytime. Haha... I was super excited that she and her fiancé found beautiful outfits for their wedding. It truly was an experience.

Before long I had to go home to get my packing done. Had to take an early flight out to Johor for work. When I got home my parents had arrived from Ipoh and my sister (Buffy) and her family were also there. Little Amani wasn't too sure who I was initially but she got comfortable before long. Even ended up sleeping on me. Alhamdulillah my family are very happy and supportive of me.

The next morning was pretty much the defining moment for me. I was going to be surrounded by work people and to top it off having to work in Johor AND Singapore. I took as special a care as I could in how I would tie my headscarf. I knew Singapore would involve quite a bit of walking around outdoors despite not knowing exactly where yet. Thankfully, it turned out to be manageable. I had some funny reactions from work people. My manager didn't notice my headscarf initially but noticed that we were wearing the same coloured blouse. I got a thumbs up from one Senior Manager, some perplexed looks from bosses, and the funniest reaction was when one of my colleagues asked my manager if this was for real or if I was just playing around. She thought the latter simply because I sometimes show my colleagues at work what I learned about tying scarves.

Anyhow, before long we were headed to Singapore for our branding studies. I was absolutely stoked when I found out that we were headed to Universal Studios Singapore! Waayyyyy friggin cool!!!! I wish we could've spent the rest of the day there. But we had work to do.

The next day we were in Johor the whole day in a frippling meeting room. Had some good brainstorming sessions there too and possibly a transfer job offer to Johor (heh!) from one of the Senior GMs. Gosh... Psst, be super careful with your stuff in the Johor airport coz my manager's bag almost got stolen by a bunch of Nepalese. Major douches!

The next day was a weekend and I was back in KL. Had some iffy moments when I woke up with a migraine (possibly from the exhaustion and lack of sleep) but I was rather determined to enjoy my day because Dieselfire is back from Perth for the General Elections. So that afternoon till about 9pm we were hanging out and shopping and catching up. It was really fun.

Which brings us to today. It's the General Elections day. A gripping day really. Right about now my parents and I are in front of the tele watching the results. I won't comment too much on this. We'll just have to wait and see.

Anyways, today was another good day. We went to my brother's place and I managed to surprise my brother and his wife. They were happy for me and even their little baby Aidan was intrigued by me (he kept wanting to bite my nose and cheeks!).

All in all, I am truly thankful and feel blessed and happy that I made this move. My family and my friends have accepted this decision openly and without prejudice and really, that's as good as I could expect it. Alhamdulillah... =)

Ready for my first day out - 1st May 2013

In USS right in front of Transformers The Ride - 2nd May 2013

Arrived in Resorts World Sentosa Singapore

With the rest of the work people and our VIP guide Mantra as we exited USS 

With Dieselfire at Chilis - 4th May 2013

With Mak dearest, K Long and Baby Aidan - 5th May 2013

One of the times Aidan thinks my nose is edible

With Mumsy as Bapak and K Nyah were busy looking at watches


Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

Life After... Pt4

"I want to see the trees."
Those were his last words to me on 26th May 2017. The day when we discovered Mum's cancer, the day Dad did his darnedest during physio at his bed just to get on the wheelchair, the day we took him for a little walk around the ward, the day before the 1st of Ramadhan... The day he had a stroke.
We would never hear his voice again after that day until Allah called him home on 16th June 2017, 21st Ramadhan 1438H. 
There were a few things that he wanted, which I failed to fulfill. For breakfast the day he was first brought to the hospital in Ipoh, he had told me he wanted fresh milk from Salim's Restaurant - I'm sure with 3 teaspoons of sugar for that perfect taste. While he was in the ward, he wanted some Miso soup from Rakuzen Japanese Restaurant, but logistically it was hard to get to the nearest Rakuzen and I only got him some Miso soup from Sushi Zanmai. He wanted some jelly when he was sitting on the wheelchair - I told him we would b…

Life After... Pt 2

Dad was admitted in the ICU on the morning of 30th April. He had a severe case of pneumonia (and no one knew how things escalated so quickly to acute pneumonia save for Allah). When we first arrived at the Accident & Emergency, the attending physician who is a Cardiologist specially assigned by a friend’s father as the Director of the hospital, explained that all they needed to do was to give Dad antibiotics and nebulizer. Dad was supposed to be in the ICU for three days for monitoring and treatment, and it was expected that he would be right as rain. Although the Doctor did say that there was a possibility that Dad may be intubated just to help him recover better. I didn’t know it then but it turned out that “intubated” meant Dad would be sedated. So when he was wheeled to his bay at the ICU and suddenly the Doctor said there was a complication, I felt an awful feeling at the pit of my stomach. Dad’s case was much more complex than a normal pneumonia case would be because he was …