Check this out! A colleague of mine who knows quite a bit about religion just revealed to me that my birthday this year falls on a very auspicious day in the Islamic calendar. This year, 24th November 2012 falls on 10th Muharram of the new Islamic year, which is Asyura day.
I know little about how special 10th Muharram is in Islam or even in the history of Islam. But I always believe in continuous learning even for things that are meant to be basic knowledge. We can never know too much about something, isn't it?
So my colleague here told me that I am very fortunate to have my birthday to coincide with Asyura day. Alhamdulillah... I never expected for such things but I know that I am quite privileged in a lot of things in my life. Perhaps Allah has a bigger plan for me that I expected, InsyaAllah...
Although, many wonderful things have occured on this day in the history of Islam but these are just some of the things, which my colleague shared with me, that occured on Asyura day...
- Allah created Arasy (from what I understand Arasy is Allah's throne in Firdaus, which is the highest of the heavens) on 10th Muharram
- Allah created Adam A.S. in heaven on 10th Muharram
- Allah drowned Fir'aun on 10th Muharram
- Allah created Ibrahim A.S. on 10th Muharram
- Allah saved Ismail A.S. who was Ibrahim's son from being slaughtered on 10th Muharram
- Isa A.S. was born on 10th Muharram
- Isa A.S. was brought to heaven on 10th Muharram
- Noah's ark was saved from being shipwrecked on 10th Muharram
- Allah accepted Adam's repentant on 10th Muharram
- Allah bestowed the crowning glory to Sulaiman A.S. on 10th Muharram
As for what we, as Muslims, can do for Hari Asyura, my colleague shared the following:
- Fast on Asyura day - InsyaAllah you will get rewarded 1,000 times more the rewards of Hajj, Umrah and syahid respectively, and you will be haram to enter hell.
- Feed those who fasted on Asyura day - the reward is similar to feeding every Muslim for break fast, InsyaAllah.
- Donate to the needy - InsyaAllah will be rewarded as if you have donated to every needy in the world.
- Stroke the hairs on orphans' heads - for every strand of hair you stroke, Allah will plant a tree in heaven.
- Recite Al-Ikhlas 1,000 times - Allah will see you with high regard in akhirat
- Pray 4 rakaat for Sunat Asyura - InsyaAllah, Allah will forgive your sins even if it has gone on for 50 years.
- Spend time or treat your family. Make them happy - Allah will make things easy for you this year.
- Protecting your honour and dignity - Allah will betow a life that is always shrouded in the light of Iman.
May all my Muslim brothers and sisters lead a blessed life filled with Iman and goodness, InsyaAllah.