Skip to main content

Safe Blogging

The one thing I have learnt since I began having a blog on the internet is, Anonymity is Key.

I know that sometimes you can use the blog as an excuse for freedom of speech and for letting your thoughts and feelings flow freely. But at the same time, people must realise that at the end of the day these "intimate and private thoughts" can be read by all walks of life on the net. Even when you think it is not read by anyone, believe you me, someday, somewhere, somehow, someone is bound to trip over it when they're doing their research or surfing.

That's one of the reasons why whenever I do put in my thoughts, however "raw" they may be, I do not put in specifics. I don't put in full/real names, I don't put in the full story and I do not share my blog page with anyone other than close friends and family (and I mean REALLY CLOSE). That's why sometimes I even forget what was it that I wrote about. I mean, have you ever tried Googling yourself? Okay, it is majorly lame to do that but it's not to blow your own horn. It's just so that you will know that you can be found! No matter how anonymous and incognito you want to be on the web.

I try to be VERY careful to seperate my work life and my personal life as much as I can. I do that in real life because I just do not trust people that easily. For example, in Facebook; I do not add colleagues (or even if I do; Gosh their access to my profile is so limited they don't even know if I'm alive or dead!). Usually, if I were to add any of my colleagues, they'd be the Sayonaras - ex-colleagues. And when it comes to wall posts and status updates - I stay away from putting status updates on days when I'm on medical leave especially, and no wall posts or comments on work WHATSOEVER! I also rarely add relatives but if I do; restricted access. On Twitter; I put my updates on private and I treat it as carefully as my blog - as much as possible NO SPECIFICS!

The reason I'm writing this is, I've seen cases where people's lives are ruined and they lose jobs and livelihood. All for the sake of being in the now and being known/popular. My thoughts on this, don't be stupid! Don't go around your blog or Facebook washing your dirty linens. It might bite you back in the arse.

So here I am, reading some of my past entries (when I have some time) to make sure none of it are too sensitive for prying eyes.


Be safe while blogging!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Time I was Flying Blue with KLM

About two months ago I came back from a magnificent travel experience to the UK and Paris. I fully intend to write all about it as it was my very first solo trip ever! But this post is not about that per se. I plan to break down the solo trip experience so that it will not be too heavy in one posting. 
Anyway, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience travelling for the first time with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines as they were my chosen carrier to take me on this wonderful journey. 
From the get go, I would say it was not exactly all smooth flowing. My own unfamiliarity and inexperience with them probably contributed to the little bumps along the way but thankfully their customer service team is well trained and equipped to help iron out any hurdles or uncertainties that I faced. 
The booking was unique in its own right. The selection of flight dates, times and class was all standard. Then when it came to payment was when I discovered the first uniqueness, or rather the second …

Getting out of Blogging Retirement - Take 2

I've already had some food in my system, and while it's probably on its way to full digestion now, let's try putting in a half decent blog post.

Like I said, after a long, I believe 2-year hiatus from blogging, I had really thought I would let blogging die a natural death and stop just like that. But as things occur in my life, I find myself itching to write again.
Like today. 
First, during lunch time. 
One of my colleagues, let's call her Kay, told us that Hard Rock Cafe has a pretty good lunch set menu. It comes with a salad, main course and dessert, and a refillable drink for the price of a normal main course. So of course we jumped to it. The moment we got to HRC, it was almost a full house! We were lucky not to have to wait in a queue. Those people probably thought to take advantage of the lunch set too. 
Anyway, there were four main courses offered in the lunch set menu; Chicken Marinara, Chicken Pasta, Hamburger and Grilled Fish. I opted for the Chicken Marina…

Getting out of Blogging Retirement - Take 1

Hello Blogosphere!!
It is I, back from an unintended retirement from the blogging world. Actually, I never did intend to hang my blogging shoes as I did my dancing shoes. But after what seems like (a) lack of time due to work, and (b) lack of inspiration to write about things without sounding like I'm whining (phew... that was a long one), I decided that after a year of hiatus, it is high time to put some thoughts to ... what do you call this?... not paper... blank blog page? Well just type out some thoughts.
Yes.
So here we go. 
Starting now.
Right. Now.
Ok. Any moment now. .

. . . .
Maybe I need to eat first. Haha!