Skip to main content

Bapak's big 66!

It was the second day of a brand new year and for me and my family, it was still a very special day as we celebrate our dad's birthday. A new milestone for the man. Wee!

This year's celebration, we did it in style on New Year's day itself. Being the only unmarried daughter who's still staying at home with them, I was given the task to organise the dinner. It's no biggie since all I had to do was really make a reservation and buy the cake. Mak was in full swing though, complete with her 'Ayam Bulat' and 'Pulut Kuning'.

So we were off for dinner in Bombay Palace. The only branch in Malaysia and the Asian continent. It was our first time there, except for Buffy so we were pretty much green about what to order. Luckily, a few weeks before I was an emcee for a farewell function of one of the Company's top persons and it was held in a Northern Indian restaurant. Although Bombay Palace wasn't where it was held, the menu was pretty much the same. And with that, Buffy and I set out on deciding what were going to have for dinner.

The place was rather nice especially for a family dinner or dinner with close friends. I would say it's semi-posh so people can get away with formally-wear. Food was good but we could all tell it was catered for the Western market rather than the Asian market. Service was a little slow but when we do get them, it's good and we had a really nice time as a family. We discovered that the secret to having dinner in an Indian restaurant such as this is that we need not order so much because of how rich the food were. By the time we finished eating, we were quite full and sated.

Then we made our way home for cake and presents. Little Ameerul got to perfect his little tricks even more especially with the BIL encouraging him on. So for your viewing pleasure...

Mak & Bapak

Bapak with the granddaughters

Bapak with the Little Prince

Mak and I

Mak with the girls

The newly weds still all smiles

The Little Prince & his pillow


Buffy said…
Little Prince - cute much!!

Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

Life After... Pt4

"I want to see the trees."
Those were his last words to me on 26th May 2017. The day when we discovered Mum's cancer, the day Dad did his darnedest during physio at his bed just to get on the wheelchair, the day we took him for a little walk around the ward, the day before the 1st of Ramadhan... The day he had a stroke.
We would never hear his voice again after that day until Allah called him home on 16th June 2017, 21st Ramadhan 1438H. 
There were a few things that he wanted, which I failed to fulfill. For breakfast the day he was first brought to the hospital in Ipoh, he had told me he wanted fresh milk from Salim's Restaurant - I'm sure with 3 teaspoons of sugar for that perfect taste. While he was in the ward, he wanted some Miso soup from Rakuzen Japanese Restaurant, but logistically it was hard to get to the nearest Rakuzen and I only got him some Miso soup from Sushi Zanmai. He wanted some jelly when he was sitting on the wheelchair - I told him we would b…

Life After... Pt 2

Dad was admitted in the ICU on the morning of 30th April. He had a severe case of pneumonia (and no one knew how things escalated so quickly to acute pneumonia save for Allah). When we first arrived at the Accident & Emergency, the attending physician who is a Cardiologist specially assigned by a friend’s father as the Director of the hospital, explained that all they needed to do was to give Dad antibiotics and nebulizer. Dad was supposed to be in the ICU for three days for monitoring and treatment, and it was expected that he would be right as rain. Although the Doctor did say that there was a possibility that Dad may be intubated just to help him recover better. I didn’t know it then but it turned out that “intubated” meant Dad would be sedated. So when he was wheeled to his bay at the ICU and suddenly the Doctor said there was a complication, I felt an awful feeling at the pit of my stomach. Dad’s case was much more complex than a normal pneumonia case would be because he was …