Skip to main content

The weekend I lost my face...

No, I didn't lose face or anything like that. I just lost my face shape, tis all. Why? Well, I went for a minor surgery to extract my wisdom tooth. I mentioned this before and was trying to psych myself until the day arrives. Inevitably of course, because no one can stop father time, 12th December 2009 came. What's worse, 10.00am came! That's the particular date and time that I was scheduled to have the surgery.

The night before, I had a long day at work and an even longer dinner so that I could enjoy talking and eating in peace and comfort. Well, at least until I heal completely. So back to the story at
hand, my parents were nice enough to accompany me to the dental clinic. Sort of to give moral support, which I am so grateful for. When I stepped into the clinic, I was the only patient for that morning. A sudden chill and nervousness hit me. It felt surreal! Me? Going for a surgery to take out my wisdom tooth?? Get outta here! But it was. I had no other way to deny it anymore. Especially when I was being called into the room where the surgery was to take place and was speaking directly to the surgeon.

He started by doing the x-ray on my impacted tooth then began to tell me t
he risks involved with the procedure. It sounded kinda serious because it involved injured/severed nerves. He said that usually people would chicken out from the procedure because of the risks. Apparently, if he hit a nerve near the lip, I would lose feeling of the lip for 6 to 18 months. But if he hit the tongue nerve, it would be permanent. I guess, it would mean I wouldn't be able to taste for the rest of my life? Then, after he was done explaining the risks and ensuring that there was only 0.03% chance of that happening, I wide-eyed-ly asked him, "How many procedures have you done?"


Yeah, I did. I guess he thought that was amusing so he answered, "quite a few". I mean he was a surgeon with BRACES for GOD's sake! So with that.... assurance... we began officially. As I was seated at the dentist chair, the nurse initially wanted to just cover my head with that shower cap
thingies. But the surgeon overruled and told me that he was just going to cover my whole head. Sorta to blindfold me. Next thing I know, I couldn't see anything. Then, he injected me with the anesthesia and soon could almost not feel anything. Not even when he was CLEARLY yanking my mouth to the side so that he could see the impacted tooth. Oih!

So after about 30 minutes of drillings and scrapings and yanking and tugging, it was all done. The bottom tooth that is. Next he moved on to the top tooth. Aiyaiyai... He injected me. Again. And... POP! All done. Wha?! Yeah, the top tooth was just a normal extraction. But still a shocking pop.


I got home after that and seriously, I. was. in. AGONY! Yes, the dentist gave me painkillers right after the procedure, yes, I still had the numbness, yes, I've been given a whole lot more painkillers to last me a few days. But the pain kept coming and no matter what I tried to do (distract myself, read, sleep, or just plain phase out) it wouldn't go away! I was so close to bawling my eyes out. But I knew that even THAT would've been useless. I just had to suffer through it.

Meanwhile, my cheek ballooned. Like a real balloon. And this is what I looked like all through the weekend...


Now, four days after the fact, I'm still slightly swollen but at least I could eat better, as in open my mouth bigger. *grins*

So that's the story of my wisdom teeth extraction. It took the wisdom right out of me, fer sure!


p/s: Did I mention that the surgeon was kinda cute? Mwahaha!!!

Comments

Justine said…
I take painkillers for my back pain, the best known this findrxonline are vicodin and hydrocodone are opiates to treat my illness, so I recommend always do the necessary consultation to avoid taking medications or analgesics that do not help overcome the pain.
sayanora said…
You still look pretty, swollen face and all!
Shugabelle said…
Sayanora: Thanks sweets. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

The Time I was Flying Blue with KLM

About two months ago I came back from a magnificent travel experience to the UK and Paris. I fully intend to write all about it as it was my very first solo trip ever! But this post is not about that per se. I plan to break down the solo trip experience so that it will not be too heavy in one posting. 
Anyway, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience travelling for the first time with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines as they were my chosen carrier to take me on this wonderful journey. 
From the get go, I would say it was not exactly all smooth flowing. My own unfamiliarity and inexperience with them probably contributed to the little bumps along the way but thankfully their customer service team is well trained and equipped to help iron out any hurdles or uncertainties that I faced. 
The booking was unique in its own right. The selection of flight dates, times and class was all standard. Then when it came to payment was when I discovered the first uniqueness, or rather the second …

Getting out of Blogging Retirement - Take 2

I've already had some food in my system, and while it's probably on its way to full digestion now, let's try putting in a half decent blog post.

Like I said, after a long, I believe 2-year hiatus from blogging, I had really thought I would let blogging die a natural death and stop just like that. But as things occur in my life, I find myself itching to write again.
Like today. 
First, during lunch time. 
One of my colleagues, let's call her Kay, told us that Hard Rock Cafe has a pretty good lunch set menu. It comes with a salad, main course and dessert, and a refillable drink for the price of a normal main course. So of course we jumped to it. The moment we got to HRC, it was almost a full house! We were lucky not to have to wait in a queue. Those people probably thought to take advantage of the lunch set too. 
Anyway, there were four main courses offered in the lunch set menu; Chicken Marinara, Chicken Pasta, Hamburger and Grilled Fish. I opted for the Chicken Marina…