Skip to main content

Departed but never forgotten...

As I woke up this morning, rather disgruntled and hoping that my internet would work, I logged on into Twitter and was shocked by the news of the sudden passing of Michael Jackson, The King of Pop...

Rest in Peace, Michael
1958 ~ 2009

Unable to digest the news, I drove to work with the radio blasting his songs as a tribute to the life and times of MJ. Listening to his songs from the yesteryears as well as a few that were produced in the recent years, I couldn't help but feel a sense of loss. Admittedly, I wasn't the biggest fan ever but a fan nonetheless. You just can't help but admire the bloke for his abilities.

Memories of his stellar dance moves and unique music videos that seem to push boundaries, played in my head like a VHS vcr. News after news confirms his passing due to cardiac arrest, one would think he, being the performer that he was, would have the heart of a horse and would never in a million years, be brought down by a heart attack! But, he was human after all...

Although he had some weird times in his life and although he felt that the only way for him to be accepted was through self mutilation and augmentation, he was indeed an iconic legend who gave us a chance to enjoy his creativity through our senses of hearing, vision and touch. No more will we be graced with his unbelievable talent nor his vast eccentricities. But his legacy of dance and music would be forever original and un-imitate-able. It truly is hard to believe that Michael Jackson, the one who I grew up listening to, is gone.

I remember reading confirmed reports of his conversion to Islam some time last year. And I hope that he truly died as a Muslim in the eyes of Allah.

May Allah bless his soul... Al-Fatihah.


Along with this post, a tribute to a fallen angel whose hair had an identity of it's own which survived decades of evolving fashion and style...

You fought the good battle, Farrah. Rest in peace...
1947 ~ 2009


Popular posts from this blog

Life After... Pt 1

Call it a wake-up call. Call it an epiphany. Call it therapy. Call it what you will. But as I was wallowing in my sorrows as 1st November 2017 began, and knowing that in 24 days I was going to meet my 34th birthday without my beloved Dad for the very first time, I thought to myself that I need to do this for my own healing.
Yes, I lost my Dad this year. He left to be with Allah at exactly half of this year, on 16th June 2017. When 2017 started I honestly thought it would be a great year. I went on my solo trip, I was on probation for a promotion at work, I was going to the gym, my family was in good health, everyone was happy. It was a great start of the year.
Then like the 2004 Tsunami, my whole world and life unexpectedly came tumbling upside down and inside out. All of a sudden my family had crises. *Note the plural form of the word "crisis"* And it started on a rather fine day on 28th April.
I was on edge that day as I did my colleague's wedding makeup. Part of me screa…

Life After... Pt4

"I want to see the trees."
Those were his last words to me on 26th May 2017. The day when we discovered Mum's cancer, the day Dad did his darnedest during physio at his bed just to get on the wheelchair, the day we took him for a little walk around the ward, the day before the 1st of Ramadhan... The day he had a stroke.
We would never hear his voice again after that day until Allah called him home on 16th June 2017, 21st Ramadhan 1438H. 
There were a few things that he wanted, which I failed to fulfill. For breakfast the day he was first brought to the hospital in Ipoh, he had told me he wanted fresh milk from Salim's Restaurant - I'm sure with 3 teaspoons of sugar for that perfect taste. While he was in the ward, he wanted some Miso soup from Rakuzen Japanese Restaurant, but logistically it was hard to get to the nearest Rakuzen and I only got him some Miso soup from Sushi Zanmai. He wanted some jelly when he was sitting on the wheelchair - I told him we would b…

Life After... Pt 2

Dad was admitted in the ICU on the morning of 30th April. He had a severe case of pneumonia (and no one knew how things escalated so quickly to acute pneumonia save for Allah). When we first arrived at the Accident & Emergency, the attending physician who is a Cardiologist specially assigned by a friend’s father as the Director of the hospital, explained that all they needed to do was to give Dad antibiotics and nebulizer. Dad was supposed to be in the ICU for three days for monitoring and treatment, and it was expected that he would be right as rain. Although the Doctor did say that there was a possibility that Dad may be intubated just to help him recover better. I didn’t know it then but it turned out that “intubated” meant Dad would be sedated. So when he was wheeled to his bay at the ICU and suddenly the Doctor said there was a complication, I felt an awful feeling at the pit of my stomach. Dad’s case was much more complex than a normal pneumonia case would be because he was …